Powered By Blogger

fredag 6 april 2012

Holy week - Good Friday

Cyberbrethen/Paul T McCain - Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday - A blessed Good Friday (April 3-6, 2012.) Behold the Lamb of God - meditation for Good Friday. "What happened on Saturday?"

"What happened on Tuesday?"

April 3rd
 
Jesus’ disciples see the withered fig tree on their return to Jerusalem from Bethany

Matthew 21:20-22

When the disciples saw it, they marveled, saying,

“How did the fig tree wither at once?”

And Jesus answered them,

“Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ it will happen. And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”

Mark 11:20-21

As they passed by in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered away to its roots. And Peter remembered and said to him,

“Rabbi, look! The fig tree that you cursed has withered.”

Jesus engages in conflict with the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem

Matthew 21:23-23:39

And when he entered the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came up to him as he was teaching, and said,

“By what authority are you doing these things, and who gave you this authority?”

Jesus answered them,

“I also will ask you one question, and if you tell me the answer, then I also will tell you by what authority I do these things. The baptism of John, from where did it come? From heaven or from man?”

And they discussed it among themselves, saying,

“If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will say to us, ‘Why then did you not believe him?’

But if we say, ‘From man,’ we are afraid of the crowd, for they all hold that John was a prophet.”

So they answered Jesus,

“We do not know.”


Holy week: What happened on Wednesday?

April 4th, 2012 

Introit: Ps. 102:1, 3–4, 12; antiphon: Philippians 2:10, 8, 11

Collect for the Day: Merciful and everlasting God, You did not spare Your only Son but delivered Him up for us all to bear our sins on the cross. Grant that our hearts may be so fixed with steadfast faith in Him that we fear not the power of sin, death, and the devil; through the same Jesus Christ, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.


Old Testament Lesson: Is. 62:11—63:7

Psalm of the Day: Psalm 60; antiphon: v. 5

Epistle Lesson: Rev. 1:5b–7

Gospel Lesson: Luke 22:1—23:56

What Happened This Day? (HT: Justin Taylor)



 
Jesus continues his daily teaching in the Temple


Luke 21:37-38

And every day he was teaching in the temple, but at night he went out and lodged on the mount called Olivet.
And early in the morning all the people came to him in the temple to hear him.

With Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread approaching, the chief priests, elders, and scribes plot to kill Jesus

Matthew 26:3-5

Then the chief priests and the elders of the people gathered in the palace of the high priest, whose name was Caiaphas, and plotted together in order to arrest Jesus by stealth and kill him. But they said,
“Not during the feast, lest there be an uproar among the people.”
Mark 14:1-2

It was now two days before the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread.
And the chief priests and the scribes were seeking how to arrest him by stealth and kill him, for they said,
“Not during the feast, lest there be an uproar from the people.”
Luke 22:1-2

Now the Feast of Unleavened Bread drew near, which is called the Passover.
And the chief priests and the scribes were seeking how to put him to death, for they feared the people.

Satan enters Judas, who seeks out the Jewish authorities in order to betray Jesus for a price

Matthew 26:14-16

Then one of the twelve, whose name was Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said,
“What will you give me if I deliver him over to you?”
And they paid him thirty pieces of silver.
And from that moment he sought an opportunity to betray him.

Mark 14:10-11

Then Judas Iscariot, who was one of the twelve, went to the chief priests in order to betray him to them.
And when they heard it, they were glad and promised to give him money.
And he sought an opportunity to betray him.

Luke 22:3-6

Then Satan entered into Judas called Iscariot, who was of the number of the twelve.
He went away and conferred with the chief priests and officers how he might betray him to them.
And they were glad, and agreed to give him money.
So he consented and sought an opportunity to betray him to them in the absence of a crowd.
HT: Justin Taylor


Holy week - What happened on Thursday?

April 5th, 2012 
 

Jesus instructs his Peter and John to secure a large upper room in a house in Jerusalem and to prepare for the Passover meal

Matthew 26:17-19

Now on the first day of Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying,
“Where will you have us prepare for you to eat the Passover?”
He said,
“Go into the city to a certain man and say to him,
‘The Teacher says,
My time is at hand. I will keep the Passover at your house with my disciples.’”
And the disciples did as Jesus had directed them, and they prepared the Passover.
Mark 14:12-16

And on the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they sacrificed the Passover lamb, his disciples said to him,
“Where will you have us go and prepare for you to eat the Passover?”
And he sent two of his disciples and said to them,
“Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him, and wherever he enters, say to the master of the house,
‘The Teacher says,
Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’
And he will show you a large upper room furnished and ready; there prepare for us.”
And the disciples set out and went to the city and found it just as he had told them, and they prepared the Passover.

Luke 22:7-13

Then came the day of Unleavened Bread, on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed.
So Jesus sent Peter and John, saying,
“Go and prepare the Passover for us, that we may eat it.”
They said to him,
“Where will you have us prepare it?”
He said to them,
“Behold, when you have entered the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him into the house that he enters and tell the master of the house,
‘The Teacher says to you,
Where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’
And he will show you a large upper room furnished; prepare it there.”
And they went and found it just as he had told them, and they prepared the Passover.



A Meditation for Maundy Thurday

April 5th, 2012 
art-maundy-thursday
During this Lenten season we have heard our Lord’s call to intensify our struggle against sin, death, and the devil—all that prevents us from trusting in God and loving each other. Since it is our intention to receive the Holy Supper of our Lord Jesus Christ on this night when He instituted this blessed meal for our salvation, it is proper that we complete our Lenten discipline by diligently examining ourselves, as St. Paul urges us to do. This holy Sacrament has been instituted for the special comfort of those who are troubled because of their sin and who humbly confess their sins, fear God’s wrath, and hunger and thirst for righteousness.

But when we examine our hearts and consciences, we find nothing in us but sin and death, from which we are incapable of delivering ourselves. Therefore, our Lord Jesus Christ has had mercy on us. For our benefit He became man so that He might fulfill for us the whole will and law of God and, to deliver us, took upon Himself our sin and the punishment we deserve.

So that we may more confidently believe this and be strengthened in the faith and in holy living, our Lord Jesus Christ took bread, broke it, and gave it to His disciples and said: “Take, eat; this is My body, which is given for you.” It is as if He said, “I became man, and all that I do and suffer is for your good. As a pledge of this, I give you My body to eat.”

In the same way also He took the cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying: “Drink of it, all of you; this cup is the new testament in My blood, which is shed for you for the forgiveness of sins.” Again, it is as if He said, “I have had mercy on you by taking into Myself all your iniquities. I give Myself into death, shedding My blood to obtain grace and forgiveness of sins, and to comfort and establish the new testament, which gives forgiveness and everlasting salvation. As a pledge of this, I give you My blood to drink.”

Therefore, whoever eats this bread and drinks this cup, confidently believing this Word and promise of Christ, dwells in Christ and Christ in him and has eternal life.

We should also do this in remembrance of Him, showing His death—that He was delivered for our offenses and raised for our justification. Giving Him our most heartfelt thanks, we take up our cross and follow Him and, according to His commandment, love one another as He has loved us. As our Lord on this night exemplified this love by washing His disciples’ feet, so we by our words and actions serve one another in love. For we are all one bread and one cup. For just as the one cup is filled with wine of many grapes and one bread made from countless grains, so also we, being many, are one body in Christ. Because of Him, we love one another, not only in word, but in deed and in truth.

May the almighty and merciful God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, by His Holy Spirit, accomplish this in us.


Source:
From the Lutheran Service Book, Altar Book, “Confessional Address for Maundy Thursday” HT: Weedon.


Soul, Adorn Thyself with Gladness

By Johann Franck, 1618-1677

1. Soul, adorn thyself with gladness, Leave behind all gloom and sadness; Come into the daylight’s splendor, There with joy thy praises render Unto Him whose grace unbounded Hath this woundrous supper founded. High o’er all the heavens He reigneth, Yet to dwell with thee He deigneth.

2. Hasten as a bride to meet Him And with loving reverence greet Him; For with words of life immortal Now He knocketh at thy portal. Haste to ope the gates before Him, Saying, while thou dost adore Him, Suffer, Lord, that I receive Thee, And I nevermore will leave Thee.

3. He who craves a precious treasure Neither cost nor pain will measure; But the priceless gifts of heaven God to us hath freely given. Though the wealth of earth were proffered, Naught would buy the fits here offered: Christ’s true body, for thee riven, And His blood, for thee once given.

4. Ah, how hungers all my spirit For the love I do not merit! Oft have I, with sighs fast thronging, Thought upon this food with longing, In the battle well-nigh worsted, For this cup of life have thirsted, For the Friend who here invites us And to God Himself unites us.

5. In my heart I find ascending Holy awe, with rapture blending, As this mystery I ponder, Filling all my soul with wonder, Bearing witness at this hour Of the greatness of Thy power; Far beyond all human telling Is the power within Him dwelling.

6. Human reason, though it ponder, Cannot fathom this great wonder That Christ’s body e’er remaineth Though it countless souls sustaineth, And that He His blood is giving With the wine we are receiving. These great mysteries unsounded Are by God alone expounded.

7. Jesus, Sun of Life, my Splendor, Jesus, Thou my Friend most tender, Jesus, Joy of my desiring, Fount of life, my soul inspiring, — At Thy feet I cry, my Maker, Let me be a fit partaker Of this blessed food from heaven, For our good, Thy glory, given.

8. Lord, by love and mercy driven Thou hast left Thy throne in heaven On the cross for us to languish And to die in bitter anguish, To forego all joy and gladness And to shed Thy blood in sadness. By this blood, redeemed and living, Lord, I praise Thee with thanksgiving.

9. Jesus, Bread of Life, I pray Thee, Let me gladly here obey Thee. By Thy love I am invited, Be Thy love with love requited; From this Supper let me measure, Lord, how vast and deep love’s treasure. Though the gifts Thou here dost give me As Thy guest in heaven receive me.

Hymn #305 The Lutheran Hymnal Text: Rev. 19: 8 Author: Johann Franck, 1649 Translated by: Catherine Winkworth, 1858, alt. Titled: “Schmuecke dich, o liebe Seele” Composer: Johann Crueger, 1649 Tune: “Schmuecke dich”


Holy (Maundy) Thurday

April 5th, 2012

Collect for Maundy Thursday: O Lord, in this wondrous Sacrament You have left us a remembrance of Your passion. Grant that we may so receive the sacred mystery of Your body and blood that the fruits of Your redemption may continually be manifest in us; for You who live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Introit: Ps. 67:1–2, 5–6b, 7; antiphon: Gal 6:14, Liturgical text

Psalm of the Day: Psalm 116:12–19

Old Testament: Ex. 12:1–14

Gradual: Ps. 111:4–5

Epistle Lesson: 1 Cor. 11:23–32

Gospel Lesson: John 13:1–35











April 6th, 2012 Holy week: What happened on Friday?


 
Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested by the authorities (perhaps after midnight, early Friday morning) HT: Justin Taylor.

Matthew 26:47-56

While he was still speaking, Judas came, one of the twelve, and with him a great crowd with swords and clubs, from the chief priests and the elders of the people. Now the betrayer had given them a sign, saying,
“The one I will kiss is the man; seize him.”
And he came up to Jesus at once and said,
“Greetings, Rabbi!”
And he kissed him.
Jesus said to him,
“Friend, do what you came to do.”
Then they came up and laid hands on Jesus and seized him. And behold, one of those who were with Jesus stretched out his hand and drew his sword and struck the servant of the high priest and cut off his ear. Then Jesus said to him,
“Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword. Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then should the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must be so?”
At that hour Jesus said to the crowds,
“Have you come out as against a robber, with swords and clubs to capture me? Day after day I sat in the temple teaching, and you did not seize me. But all this has taken place that the Scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled.”
Then all the disciples left him and fled.


A blessed Good Friday

April 6th, 2012 
O sacred Head, now wounded, with grief and shame weigheddown,
Now scornfully surrounded with thorns, Thine only crown;
How pale Thou art with anguish, with sore abuse and scorn!
How does that visage languish, which once was bright as morn!

What Thou, my Lord, hast suffered, was all for sinners’ gain;
Mine, mine was the transgression, but Thine the deadly pain.
Lo, here I fall, my Savior! ’Tis I deserve Thy place;
Look on me with Thy favor, vouchsafe to me Thy grace.

Men mock and taunt and jeer Thee, Thou noble countenance,
Though mighty worlds shall fear Thee and flee before Thy glance.
How art thou pale with anguish, with sore abuse and scorn!
How doth Thy visage languish that once was bright as morn!

Now from Thy cheeks has vanished their color once so fair;
From Thy red lips is banished the splendor that was there.
Grim death, with cruel rigor, hath robbed Thee of Thy life;
Thus Thou hast lost Thy vigor, Thy strength in this sad strife.

My burden in Thy Passion, Lord, Thou hast borne for me,
For it was my transgression which brought this woe on Thee.
I cast me down before Thee, wrath were my rightful lot;
Have mercy, I implore Thee; Redeemer, spurn me not!

What language shall I borrow to thank Thee, dearest friend,
For this Thy dying sorrow, Thy pity without end?
O make me Thine forever, and should I fainting be,
Lord, let me never, never outlive my love to Thee.

My Shepherd, now receive me; my Guardian, own me Thine.
Great blessings Thou didst give me, O source of gifts divine.
Thy lips have often fed me with words of truth and love;
Thy Spirit oft hath led me to heavenly joys above.

Here I will stand beside Thee, from Thee I will not part;
O Savior, do not chide me! When breaks Thy loving heart,
When soul and body languish in death’s cold, cruel grasp,
Then, in Thy deepest anguish, Thee in mine arms I’ll clasp.

The joy can never be spoken, above all joys beside,
When in Thy body broken I thus with safety hide.
O Lord of Life, desiring Thy glory now to see,
Beside Thy cross expiring, I’d breathe my soul to Thee.

My Savior, be Thou near me when death is at my door;
Then let Thy presence cheer me, forsake me nevermore!
When soul and body languish, oh, leave me not alone,
But take away mine anguish by virtue of Thine own!

Be Thou my consolation, my shield when I must die;
Remind me of Thy passion when my last hour draws nigh.
Mine eyes shall then behold Thee, upon Thy cross shall dwell,
My heart by faith enfolds Thee. Who dieth thus dies well


“O Sacred Head Now Wounded,” by Paul Gehardt, based on a hymn by Bernard of Clairvoux


From Cyberbrethen blog/Paul T McCain - Thanks!
http://cyberbrethren.com/


Behold, the Lamb of God - meditation for Good Friday

April 6th, 2012 


Behold, the Lamb of God by Rev. Paul T. McCain
It was your sin, and mine, that put him on the Cross. We had no place in the Paradise our first parents were driven from. Guilty, as charged. Doomed. Condemned. Even as the scourge bit deeply into his back, thorns pierced his head, nails tore through his hands and feet, the spear pierced his side, so my sins did the same. And your sins. They put him there. So deeply does sin separate the world from God, that it is only possible through the death of the beloved Son that sins can be, and, thanks be to God, are forgiven. Peace with God once more is made. But what a terrible price! Oh, how terrible.

“Good” indeed, is this Good Friday. He came not to be served, but to serve and to give His life as a ransom for many (Mark 10:45), and on the cross was the highest service of God, to mankind: His son, sacrificed and given up for the sins of the world, just as had been promised to our first parents (Gen. 3;15). Finally the head of the Evil One was under the foot of the Holy One of Israel. The Suffering Servant was wounded for our transgressions and crushed for our offenses (Is. 53), and by the stripes and blows He endured, we are healed, and we are restored to peace with God. He appeared to offer up the last and final sacrifice, to put away sin, forever (Hebr. 9:26). With repentant joy, we receive the salvation won for us by the atoning sacrifice Christ our Lord offered up for our sins.

As a result of that first good Friday, we have peace with God. His love is poured out into our lives, flowing over us, a deep scarlet rich love, pouring out just as the blood poured forth from the cross. Therefore, there is no grief too deep, no hurt too painful, no sin too horrible, no guilt too enormous, that it is not covered over by the blood of Christ, and swallowed up in His victory over sin, death and devil.

Nothing in all the world can ever separate you from the love of God. Nothing is stronger than the love that holds you. There is no power on earth, no grief, no sickness, no pain, no loss, not hurt, no trouble…nothing, absolutely nothing, can separate you from the love of God which is yours, through Christ Jesus your Lord. Nothing, ever. You are loved by God. Always and forever. Thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ (1 Cor. 15:57).

And so on this day, when we gather to ponder and meditate on the enormity of our sin, the awful, terrible price exacted for it in the death of our Savior, through tears of repentant joy, we can, and must, and will say again, with the Apostle St. Paul:
“I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but
Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live
by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.” (Gal. 2:20).
Here is Paul Gerhardt’s beautiful hymn, A Lamb Goes Uncomplaining Forth.

1. A Lamb goes uncomplaining forth,
The guilt of all men bearing;
And laden with the sins of earth,
None else the burden sharing!
Goes patient on, grows weak and faint,
To slaughter led without complaint,
That spotless life to offer;
Bears shame and stripes,
and wounds and death,
Anguish and mockery and saith,
“Willing all this I suffer.”

2. This Lamb is Christ, the soul’s great friend,
The Lamb of God, our Savior;
Him God the Father chose to send
To gain for us His favor.
“Go forth, My Son,” the Father saith,
“And free men from the fear of death,
From guilt and condemnation.
The wrath and stripes are hard to bear,
But by Thy passion men shall share
The fruit of Thy salvation.”

3. “Yea, Father, yea most willingly
I’ll bear what Thou commandest;
My will conforms to Thy decree,
I do what Thou demandest.”
O wondrous Love, what hast Thou done!
The Father offers up His Son!
The Son, content, descendeth!
O Love, how strong Thou art to save!
Thou beddest Him within the grave
Whose word the mountains rendeth.

4. Thou lay’st Him, Love upon the cross,
With nails and spear Him bruising;
Thou slay’st Him as a lamb, His loss
From soul and body oozing;
From body ’tis the crimson flood
Of precious sacrificial blood,
From soul, the strength of anguish.
My gain it is; sweet Lamb, to Thee
What can I give whose love to me
For me doth make Thee languish?

5. Lord, all my life I’ll cleave to Thee,
Thy love fore’er beholding,
Thee ever, as Thou ever me,
With loving arms enfolding.
Yea, Thou shalt be my Beacon-light,
To guide me safe through death’s dark night,
And cheer my heart in sorrow;
Henceforth myself and all that’s mine
To Thee, my Savior, I consign,
From whom all things I borrow.

6. From morn till eve my theme shall be
Thy mercy’s wondrous measure;
To sacrifice myself for Thee
Shall be my aim and pleasure.
My stream of life shall ever be
A current flowing ceaselessly,
Thy constant praise outpouring.
I’ll treasure in my memory,
O Lord, all Thou hast done for me,
Thy gracious love adoring.

7. Enlarge my heart’s own shrine, and swell,
To thee shall now be given
a treasure that doth far excel
The worth of earth and heaven.
Away with the Arabian gold,
With treasures of an earthly mold!
I’ve found a better jewel.
My priceless treasure, Lord, my God,
Is Thy most holy, precious blood,
Which flowed from wounds so cruel.

8. This treasure ever I’ll employ,
This every aid shall yield me;
In sorrow it shall be my joy,
In conflict it shall shield me;
In joy, the music of my feast,
And when all else has lost its zest,
This manna still shall feed me;
In thirst my drink; in want my food;
My company in solitude,
To comfort and to lead me.

9. Of death I am no more afraid,
New life from Thee is flowing;
Thy cross affords me cooling shade
When noonday’s sun is glowing.
When by my grief I am opprest,
On Thee my weary soul shall rest
Serenely as on pillows.
Thou art my Anchor when by woe
My boat is driven to and fro
On trouble’s surging billows.

10. And when Thy glory I shall see
And taste Thy kingdom’s pleasure,
Thy blood my royal robe shall be,
My joy beyond all measure.
When I appear before Thy throne,
Thy righteousness shall be my crown,
With these I need not hide me.
And there in garments richly wrought
As Thine own bride, I shall be brought
To stand in joy beside Thee."


Good Friday - More:
http://cyberbrethren.com/2012/04/06/lucas-cranach-and-albrecht-durer-christian-artists/

A prayer and meditation for Good Friday:
http://cyberbrethren.com/2012/04/06/1576/

Good Friday: The passion of our Lord:
/http://cyberbrethren.com/2012/04/06/good-friday-the-passion-of-our-lord/


Holy week - what happened on saturday?
http://cyberbrethren.com/2012/04/07/holy-week-what-happened-on-saturday/


The vigil of Easter:
http://cyberbrethren.com/2012/04/07/the-vigil-of-easter/




Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar